Huisje wel tevree Huisje wel tevree
Waar vrije meningsuiting kan.

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   GebruikersgroepenGebruikersgroepen   RegistrerenRegistreren 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privéberichten te bekijkenLog in om je privéberichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen 

MONTREAL -- The Rogers Cup is reaching new heights. [url=htt

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Huisje wel tevree -> Vragen, oproep, mededelingen
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
zhanjiao1212

BerichtGeplaatst: 19-03-2019 07:52:29    Onderwerp: MONTREAL -- The Rogers Cup is reaching new heights. [url=htt Reageren met citaat

MONTREAL -- The Rogers Cup is reaching new heights. Cheap Nike Shoes UK Outlet . Sundays final at Uniprix Stadium in Montreal, which saw third-seed Agnieszka Radwanska beat Venus Williams in straight sets 6-4, 6-2, helped the event break the world record for attendance at a week-long womens tennis tournament. The event drew 181,996 spectators, topping the previous Rogers Cup high of 174,706 set in 2006. Tournament director Eugene Lapierre, who was pleased with breaking the attendance record, wants that number to keep growing. "Theres still room in the stadium, dont think otherwise," said Lapierre, who also serves as vice president of professional tennis in Quebec for Tennis Canada. "We didnt have sell-outs every single day. For the mens tournament, weve hit an attendance of 215,000. Theres room for more, especially during the first few days of the tournament. We can get a lot of people on site." Uniprix Stadium, only the 15th largest stadium in terms of capacity on the Womens Tennis Association tour, holds more than 15,000 tennis fans between its two largest courts. Before the Rogers Cup first-round matches had even begun, more than 40,000 fans had made their way to Uniprix Stadium on free practice and qualifying days. On Sunday, there were more than 12,000 supporters on site for the final between Radwanska and Williams. Lapierre however, knows the tournament would have been an even bigger success if Montreal-born tennis phenom Eugenie Bouchard hadnt been bumped from the second round. After earning a first-round bye for being a top-8 seeded player, Bouchard lost in three sets to American qualifier Shelby Rogers on the second day of competition. "A lot of people would have wanted to come see Eugenie throughout the week, but I dont know how many, we havent yet monitored those numbers," said Lapierre, who justified the many empty seats in Sundays final on Bouchards absence. "We see it with our sports teams in Montreal. Do we love hockey? Yes. But as soon as the Canadiens are out of the playoffs, there arent many people watching the remaining games, even if its great hockey." Lapierre said that Bouchards recent outstanding results -- the 20-year-old reached all three grand slam semifinals this year -- had an impact on ticket sales in the lead-up to the event. The tournament director added that new amateur tennis fans, people who had never bought Rogers Cup tickets before, came to the stadium in droves throughout the week. But Lapierre, a former tennis player himself, wants supporters to come for the tennis, not just the Canadians on the court. "Fans need to realize that we have some of the biggest players in the world," he said. "We never had a Canadian do so well before. Now we have someone who can actually win the tournament. But if even if she loses, its not the end of the world. We have the best players in the world." On top of Bouchards surprise early exit, the Rogers Cup week wasnt without its twist and turns. On Tuesday afternoon, a power outage at Uniprix Stadium threw the courts in darkness until early Wednesday. The umpires microphone didnt work, and the Internet was down. Tickets at the gate could no longer be purchased or scanned. All matches, including Bouchards, were delayed. When the sun set, generators, which werent on hand at the time of the outage, were brought in to light up the stadium. That meant a lot of lost revenue for Tennis Canada, which owns the Rogers Cup. Lapierre said he wants to make sure something like that never happens again. "I learned that we need generators," said Lapierre when asked what he can do differently next year to make the tournament an even bigger success. "In terms of our dependence on energy, that will become a focal point now. Something like that had never happened before in 35 years. "Well definitely see how we can become completely independent." Despite the pitfalls, the Rogers Cup is still one of the favourites for players on the WTA tour. Runner-up Venus Williams had nothing but praise for the city. "This is my favourite city. I love it," said Williams, whos still seeking her first tournament victory of the season. "I think I was hitting some balls on Sunday, and I couldnt believe the massive number of fans here. Ive never seen anything like it, even at a major. "As much as I love Toronto, I wish the womens tournament was here every year. I would love to continue my winning ways in Canada, in Quebec, so Im looking forward to it." Notes: Radwanska became the first Rogers Cup winner from Poland on Sunday after making little work of her opponent -- the match lasted just one hour and 22 minutes. Radwanska, ranked fifth in the world, won her first tournament since Sept. 2013. à Later on Sunday, Italians Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci defeated Cara Black and Sania Mirza 7-6 (4), 6-3, in the doubles final. à Canadians Aleksandra Wozniak, Stephanie Dubois and Francoise Abanda were all eliminated in the first round. Wholesale Nike Shoes Uk .com) - Driphus Jackson had three touchdown passes, including two in a 19-second span in the opening quarter, to guide Rice to a 30-6 rout of Fresno State at the Hawaii Bowl. Wholesale Nike Shoes For Sale .com) - Whew! North Dakota States reign as the three-time FCS national champion was pushed to the limit by South Dakota State on Saturday, but freshman R. http://www.wholesalenikeshoesuk.com/ .com) - Former FBI director Robert Mueller said his investigation found no evidence that the NFL saw the elevator video of Ray Rice striking his then-fiancee before the tape was released in September. MIAMI -- The flop is having an impact on the playoffs, and its being caught much more than it was in the regular season. Miami guard Dwyane Wade became the latest recipient of a post-season flopping fine Monday when the NBA ordered him to give up $5,000 after a review showed he over-exaggerated a foul during Game 2 of the finals that was charged to San Antonios Manu Ginobili. And theres an ironic twist -- Ginobili is often considered a master flopper, but he wasnt even warned once about it this season. "He took a swipe and he hit me," Wade said Monday, before the fine was announced. "It was a late call by the ref, but he called it." The league saw it a little differently. It was the fifth flopping violation of the playoffs, which works out to one in every 17.2 games. The NBA said 35 flops were caught in the regular season, or one in every 35.1 games. Players are not fined in the regular season until their second flop of the year; in the playoffs, every flop is a fine. "Flopping," Miami guard Shane Battier once said, "is a silent killer." Well, unless it works. Wade drew the foul against Ginobili with 4:09 left in the second quarter on Sunday night. Ginobili, who took a big swipe at the ball about 35 feet from the basket, wound up going to the bench with his third foul of the half. Wade went to the line and made the two resulting free throws, since Miami was already in the bonus. The Heat wound up winning by two points. "I saw Manu coming out of the corner of my eye to try to steal it so my only thing was to make sure that he didnt steal it," Wade said. "He swiped and he wound up hitting me and the ref called a foul. We move on." The Heat-Spurs matchup is tied 1-1, with Game 3 in Miami on Tuesday night. Some of the flops in the playyoffs have been almost circuslike acting jobs, including a pair by Indiana guard Lance Stephenson -- the official leaguewide leader in flopping this season with two violations in the regular season and two more in the post-season. Cheap Nike Shoes Wholesale. . Hes had to pay $20,000 for those flops, or basically about 2 per cent of his seasons salary. For Wade, whos made nearly $19 million in salary this season, the $5,000 was mere pocket change. And situations like that were pointed out last year by now-retired NBA Commissioner David Stern, who said the small fine "isnt enough. Youre not going to cause somebody to stop it for $5,000 when the average players salary is $5.5 million." Stern added then that anyone who thought the fine would stop the flop is allowing "hope to prevail over reason." So it would be no surprise if tougher flopping penalties were at least discussed when the NBAs competition committee when that group meets this summer. Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said hes not surprised that the rate goes up in the playoffs, saying Monday that it could be as simple a reason as "more people in the league office watching each possession." Besides Stephenson and Wade, the other post-season flop fines have been assessed to Indianas Roy Hibbert and the Spurs Tiago Splitter. All of those flops were cited in the conference-final round or later. Indianas season ended with a third straight playoff loss to the Heat. And not surprisingly, it wouldnt seem like the Pacers are rooting for their conference member this time of year -- a media relations official from East finalists tweeted shortly after the Wade-Ginobili play Sunday that the Heat guard deserved a flopping fine and even made what seemed like a lighthearted plea to the league: "Cmon NBA, do it for Lance." ' ' '
Terug naar boven
Profiel bekijken Stuur privébericht
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Huisje wel tevree -> Vragen, oproep, mededelingen Tijden zijn in GMT + 4 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: